Thursday, February 26, 2009

10 Ways to Deal with Negative People

Lately I have been lead to believe that I am a negative person.
Hmmm. (thinking)
Negative?
I always thought I was more sarcastic.
Hmmm. (more thinking)
Well (pause) I guess the only thing left to do is give you some advice.
What Advice could I give?
Hmmm. (thinking hurts)
Oh, I know.
Here are some tips on how to deal with my negativity
should we happen to cross paths.


(Thank You for the picture Cam)

Negative people.

They're like human black holes which suddenly come out of nowhere and just suck the life out of you. You try to stay positive and remain strong but their negativity ends up just completely draining you, you feel exhausted, and you may also start to feel depressed too.
(I sound like a Twilight character)

So what can you do?
Here's 10 strategies on how to deal with negative people:
(Such as Myself)

1. Where’s it coming from?

If you can understand where it’s coming from, it’s much easier to deal with.
(honestly... don't care if you understand or not)

2. Just smile and remain completely detached
.
Whenever the negative tirade starts just smile and don’t say anything.
(you can smile all you want, just makes you look like the crazy one)

3. Say, “Now tell me something positive.”
Right after they've finished telling you some tragic story, say to them, "now tell me a positive story".
(might be a dumb idea since I'm not positive in the first place)

4. Imagine a bright white light surrounding you
Yes, this sounds silly but if you can do it, it’s amazing how much of a difference it can make. You'll feel that their negativity can’t touch you because you now have a force field protecting you.
(Luke...I am your Father. I'm going to try this one with my kids)

5. Is it a sign?
I find that the “universe” uses negative people as the way to get me to move on whenever I’m getting comfortable in a situation that isn’t challenging me anymore.
(sounds like a personal problem to me)

6. What does it say about you?

Negative people want to get a reaction out of you. And the only way they can is if they hit on one of your "buttons" or something that causes intense feelings for you.
(the only button I want to push is the one that locks the door)

7. Trying to feel needed
Is listening to the complaints of the negative person your way of feeling valued? Does it make you feel needed? If it does, then you need to start valuing yourself more and you’ll find that this just won't happen anymore.
(yes please value yourself a little more, I don't really care if your listening)

8. Try saying, “I love you, thank you, I’m sorry” over and over

This is kind of an "off the wall" kind of theory but it’s worth a try.
(how 'bout you not try this one at all)

9. It’s not your fault
You may be feeling that you have to solve the problems of the energy drainer. You’re not responsible for the person’s life nor their negativity.
(It is your fault, why do you think I'm negative in the first place?)

10. Be enthusiastic and focus on your own energy
If you can be higher energy than they are then your energy will most likely start to rub off on those around you instead of the other way around. Also, the less you pay attention to them, the less they'll affect you.
(I would hate for you to lose the "most energetic" award)

In a Nutshell...
Turn on that imaginary force field and stay the heck away!
(#4 is my personal fav.)

Hope this Helps.
-Love you All-

10 comments:

Rachel said...

Hey, we're all a little negative...anyone who says differently is a big, fat "coatyl." It's good to find the positive eventually but sometimes we have to take a swim through the mud before finding it, you know? There's a book I want to read: "How to Hug a Porcupine" - however, what do I do if I'm the porcupine?! :)

Jeanell said...

Hey remember when we actually swam through the mud? Oh the days.
Your reading that book to learn how to hug me, aren't you?

Rachel said...

Not reading it yet...it's Mom's book. Wonder who her porcupines are...and, no, you are not my porcupine.

The Christensens said...

You are so funny.... I happen to think you are the least negative person!!!

Jeanell said...

Rich - you really should try to stop swearing. The only suggestion I have is using Google, it might have some great ideas.

Rachel said...

Would you like me to mediate this little "mizess"?

byufish said...

Hey, my sister has that book (hugging porcupines)...is this a sign? The two people who I know REALLY well have the same book on their shelf....now that's a "pantsub" if you ask me.

byufish said...

Ooooo...couldn't resist the next worcues...but really Jeanell...being negative is the norm...those who aren't negative...THEY need a good mugpi to the face!

byufish said...

Hey, I left a comment for Jeanell on Rachel's blog...DRRR...so have a go at it Jeanell. BTW, my word verification says "visual verification"...gonna try it but do you think they think I'm onto something? Hang on...didn't work...and guess what...they're sending the "sherif" after me!

twinsand2boys said...

I tend to be negative which is something I dislike about myself...but I never wouldve described you as negative. Let me know if that force field works...I could use it with my kids too LOL.

Blog Archive